- Provides leadership to branch.
- Coordinates branch and leads executive in setting branch goals and objectives.
- Prepares agenda for and chairs general and board meetings.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of all PPB committees.
- Acts as liaison/coordinator among all executive roles.
- Oversees branch administrator role.
- Holds one of the two keys to the mailbox and shares mail pick-up duties with the Branch administrator (or designates another member to do the same).
- Co-signs and appoints an alternate to co-sign cheques, along with the treasurer, for PPB expenditures.
- Serves as contact person for inter-branch communications.
- Attends meetings of branch chairs at the EAC AGM.
- Takes on or delegates the duties of past chair and vice-chair if those positions are vacant.
- Takes on duties of chair as needed.
- Assists and supports past chair in recruiting nominating slate.
Branch representative to national board
- Discusses and votes on national issues considered by the national board, examining those issues in the context of the whole association and bringing the branch's perspective to the board
- Reports to the board on branch activities, including on local publications and projects that can be shared nationally or with other branches
- Reports to the board on issues that arise at the branch level that may have consequences for other branches or for the national association
- Reports on national board discussions to the branch executive and arranges for the same information to be passed on to the branch membership when appropriate
- Notifies the appropriate branch contact when local members are needed to sit on national committees
- Keeps minutes of board meetings; distributes minutes shortly after the meeting to allow members time to act on pertinent items prior to the next meeting.
- Keeps permanent records.
- Submits approved copies of the PPB minutes and any other significant branch publications to NEC.
- Submits approved minutes to internal publicity coordinator for web posting and directs members to online minutes when requested.
- Keeps track of motions, important suggestions, and decisions arising out of email discussions.
- Maintains EAC–PPB Operations Manual.
- Ensures that new policy items discussed and moved at board meetings are added to the Operations Manual.
- Writes correspondence such as formal letters of support and congratulations and thank yous.
- Helps the board prepare an annual budget and special projects budget.
- Helps develop and evaluate financial policies for the branch.
- Reviews and approves periodic financial statements and reports prepared by the Branch Administrator and reports these to the board.
- Co-signs cheques (with the chair or designate) for PPB expenditures.
- Establishes a relationship with the national treasurer and EAC national office.
- Directs board to select two members in good standing to audit the annual financial statements prior to the AGM.
- Ensures that instructors for courses receive prompt payment and reimbursement.
- Responds to requests for information about general membership.
- Responds to enquiries about membership and recruits members, working closely with the publicity coordinators (external and internal) and the program coordinator.
- Contacts potential members and volunteers upon receiving names and contact information.
- Welcomes new members and makes contact with non-renewing members.
- Coordinates volunteer recognition.
- Requests volunteer job descriptions from board members.
- Coordinates volunteer recruitment at member meetings and programs.
- Forwards volunteer opportunities to internal committees liaison to send to IT coordinator to post online and also sends to listserv.
- Manages “opt-out” option on branch listserv.
- Works with the program coordinator to ensure that membership material is available at PPB events; promotes memberships, as appropriate.
Program coordinator leads the program committee in completing or delegating the following
- Develops a program plan (including topics and speakers for general meetings, courses, and special events) that will meet the needs of editors at all career stages.
- Presents program plan to the board in September.
- Works with external publicity coordinator to develop publicity materials for programs.
- Collaborates with education liaison to stay informed about other locally offered editing and editing-related courses (e.g., Mount Royal, Grant MacEwan, U of A Faculty of Extension, U of C Faculty of Extension).
- Develops course budgets on a cost-recovery basis.
- Develops contracts for instructors or presenters, as appropriate.
- Purchases gift certificates or other approved honoraria for presenters.
- Liaises with publicity coordinators and the newsletter editor to ensure that meetings and programs are adequately publicized.
- Greets participants at all PPB events and ensures that PPB membership and promotional materials are displayed.
- Tracks attendance at PPB events (members, non-members, potential volunteers) and shares details with pertinent board members and administrator.
- Collects drop-in fees, issue receipts, and forwards collected funds to the branch administrator.
- Introduces and thanks guest speakers.
- Arranges monthly coffee meetings and informs members and others.
Publicity coordinator, external
- Sends information about professional development and programs to partner organizations and employers of editors.
- Works to establish awareness of EAC−PPB through media, advertising, sponsorship, and cooperative relationships with agencies that deal with the written word, such as the Writers Guild of Alberta, the Society of Technical Communicators, the International Association of Business Communicators, the Calgary Association of Freelance Editors (CAFÉ), and the Manitoba Editors’ Association.
- Leads development and implementation of the PPB marketing plan.
- Presents the marketing plan to the board for review and approval early in the new term.
- Develops a budget for the year’s marketing activities, if required.
- Works with the program coordinator to develop publicity materials.
- Ensures continuing development of corporate database.
Publicity coordinator, internal
- Works closely with the program coordinator (and counterparts in other centres, such as Calgary) to coordinate publicity for PPB meetings, special events, and other activities for members and potential members.
- Forwards information to external publicity coordinator to forward to organizations on the corporate database.
- Maintains non-member database and forwards program information to interested nonmembers as requested.
- Receives monthly membership database from National and distributes current membership lists to board.
- Sends out publicity about programs and related information from partner organizations.