Grouse Grind hike, Friday, June 9
Please note that this event is not part of the conference but is being organized independently by attendees. It also conflicts with the June 9 afternoon workshops—if you have booked an afternoon workshop, please plan to attend that instead of this hike.
Grouse Grind Hike: Friday, June 9
- 1:30 meet downtown (Howard Johnson Hotel at Granville and Davie) to share some group taxis or car pool
- 2:00 p.m. meet at base of the trail (follow Capilano Road all the way to the top). Hike to top.
- 3 - 4ish p.m. Refreshments at Altitudes Bistro. Possible wandering around looking at the view.
- 4ish p.m. Take the tram car down the mountain, return to hotel in time for changing clothes in time for the 6 p.m. reception.
- James Harbeck is organizing this outing. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP. If you need to reach him after June 8, call his cell phone at 416-873-7324.
- Further information at http://www.grousemountain.com or http://hiking.grousemountain.com/grousegrind.
- Wear hiking shoes.
- Dress for sweating.
- Bring water.
- Bring money for the shared taxi, your refreshments at the top, and/or to buy your carpool driver a (nonalcoholic!) drink. The gondola cost is $5 to ride down, or $30 if you choose ride up instead of hike, share refreshments at the top, and ride down again.
- The hike is very steep -- more like a rough rock staircase up the mountain side for much of it. You gain 2800 vertical feet (853 metres) over 1.8 miles (2.9 km) of trail. There will be a fast group (aiming for 45 minutes to an hour to the top), and a more leisurely group (aiming for 1.5 hours), but even doing the hike at a "leisurely" pace will require very good fitness.
- Feel free to organize a group to taxi from another hotel to meet at the trail base at 2 p.m. If you're having trouble, try e-mailing James. If he knows of other people that are near you, he'll put you in touch.
- RSVP to James to enable car pooling/taxi sharing, but if you decide to join in at the last minute, just show up at the trailhead a little earlier than 2.