Sunday, June 18, 2006
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Friday, June 09, 2006
New Session: Partnering with Other Organizations
More Volunteers Needed
Thursday, June 08, 2006
Substitute Event Saturday 10 June 10.45 - 12.15
Reminder: casual pre-conference dinner tonight
Just a quick reminder that all EAC members are invited to the pre-conference dinner tonight (Thursday, June 8):
This informal, pay-as-you-go affair (you will receive an individual bill), hosted by the BC branch, is an opportunity to meet and network with editors from across Canada, whether or not you plan to attend the conference over the weekend.
No need to RSVP; we've still got some spaces. Just show up and blend right in!
Thursday, June 01, 2006
Call for volunteers
If you're attending the National Conference, we're offering some extra sizzle: join our volunteer team! You'll be contributing in many ways: hosting sessions, collecting evaluation forms, stuffing the tote bags, answering queries at the Information Desk.
We especially need Vancouver area members, because several things need doing right now. Only EAC members who are Conference attendees can volunteer on site during the Conference, but if you feel like chipping in without attending, we'd love to have you along.
We're using a new tool to coordinate volunteers. A wiki is a really easy-to-use web site where many people can collaborate. Cuts down email, builds a project fast. Many brains (including yours!) will improve the result. Anyone can see it, but to enter your name as a volunteer, you'll have to first log in as a Contributor.
See the wiki at eacvolunteersconference.pbwiki.com.
The password was posted to the EAC-ACR national list on 31 May, but have some fun here: it's a 9-letter word from the Latin words for "alone" and "self," meaning the philosophical theory that nothing but the self exists and thus is the only object of knowledge (Webster). Crossword clue: "Thus, labia, and ism."
You can edit any page, very easily. No HTML, promise! You can't delete pages, and the wiki stores previous versions, so nothing is ever lost.
This wiki will be fun and effective, yours as much as ours. Now it has only the essentials. All you really need to do is add your name. Feel free to add new pages: photos, comments, etc. For questions, there's a FAQ page.
We're looking forward to seeing your names and contributions. Please don't email us—just put questions on the site. And suggestions for the rewards you'd like...
Ricki Ewings Sharp and Graham Hayman
Sunday, May 28, 2006
Reminder about pre-conference workshops
Read more about the sessions and register now—the workshops and conference are two weeks away. Both EAC members and non-members are welcome, and you can register just for the workshops you're interested in, for the conference itself, or for both.
Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Three weeks left
- There are five separate pre-conference workshops running on Friday, June 9. You may register for those that interest you either in conjunction with or separately from the rest of the events.
- Friday evening there is a reception beginning at 6:00—conference registrants each get a free ticket to the reception, and extras are available for guests for $20 each.
- Saturday, June 10 begins with the keynote address by Wayson Choy, followed by eight sessions on topics ranging from translation and working alone to mentoring and "extreme editing." There is also the Editors' Town Hall and the EAC/ACR Annual General Meeting (members only).
- Saturday evening includes a banquet at the Vancouver Rowing Club and the presentation of the Tom Fairley Award for Editorial Excellence.
- On Sunday, June 11, there are five further sessions, the Senior Editors' Roundtable, and the closing plenary on editorial ethics, concluding at 3:30.
Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Grouse Grind hike, Friday, June 9
Please note that this event is not part of the conference but is being organized independently by attendees. It also conflicts with the June 9 afternoon workshops—if you have booked an afternoon workshop, please plan to attend that instead of this hike.
Grouse Grind Hike: Friday, June 9
- 1:30 meet downtown (Howard Johnson Hotel at Granville and Davie) to share some group taxis or car pool
- 2:00 p.m. meet at base of the trail (follow Capilano Road all the way to the top). Hike to top.
- 3 - 4ish p.m. Refreshments at Altitudes Bistro. Possible wandering around looking at the view.
- 4ish p.m. Take the tram car down the mountain, return to hotel in time for changing clothes in time for the 6 p.m. reception.
- James Harbeck is organizing this outing. E-mail him at email@example.com to RSVP. If you need to reach him after June 8, call his cell phone at 416-873-7324.
- Further information at http://www.grousemountain.com or http://hiking.grousemountain.com/grousegrind.
- Wear hiking shoes.
- Dress for sweating.
- Bring water.
- Bring money for the shared taxi, your refreshments at the top, and/or to buy your carpool driver a (nonalcoholic!) drink. The gondola cost is $5 to ride down, or $30 if you choose ride up instead of hike, share refreshments at the top, and ride down again.
- The hike is very steep -- more like a rough rock staircase up the mountain side for much of it. You gain 2800 vertical feet (853 metres) over 1.8 miles (2.9 km) of trail. There will be a fast group (aiming for 45 minutes to an hour to the top), and a more leisurely group (aiming for 1.5 hours), but even doing the hike at a "leisurely" pace will require very good fitness.
- Feel free to organize a group to taxi from another hotel to meet at the trail base at 2 p.m. If you're having trouble, try e-mailing James. If he knows of other people that are near you, he'll put you in touch.
- RSVP to James to enable car pooling/taxi sharing, but if you decide to join in at the last minute, just show up at the trailhead a little earlier than 2.
Friday, April 21, 2006
Session details posted
Wednesday, April 19, 2006
Brochure available for download, detailed event descriptions coming soon
Thursday, April 13, 2006
Registration is now open!
EAC members: Register by April 30, 2006 for the discounted early-bird rate!
For full details check out the conference registration page.
Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Thank you to our sponsors
In addition to Purdue Pharma, our latest sponsor, we would like to thank and acknowledge the other organizations that are helping EAC hold Conference 2006 in Vancouver:
Sunday, April 09, 2006
New sponsor, attractions added, registration coming
Please note that the Holiday Inn no longer appears on our Stay Here page, because the hotel is now fully booked for the weekend of our event.
Thursday, March 30, 2006
Conference sessions and daily schedule posted
We have now posted the Conference 2006 schedule and sessions. We're sorry for not posting it yesterday as originally promised—our webmaster had technical and day-job issues that prevented the information from going online until today.
The page includes more background about Wayson Choy (our keynote speaker), the general daily schedule during the days of the conference, and the lineup of sessions at SFU Vancouver for the main portion of the event. Specific times and more details will appear as soon as we have them. This page will always have pointers to the latest information.
Saturday, March 25, 2006
Delta Suites now offering discounted rates
Thursday, March 09, 2006
More hotels added, new sponsorship information
Monday, February 27, 2006
Registration, travel, and Vancouver pages updated
Wednesday, January 11, 2006
Reduced airfare for Conference attendees
Now that 2006 has arrived, the EAC Conference 2006 Committee will be updating this site more thoroughly and often, as the June dates for the event approach quickly.
First off, our Get Here page details discounted airfares for Conference 2006 attendees from Air Canada and WestJet. We will post information about car rentals from Avis and train travel with VIA shortly.