You are here
Stan J. Backs
- Certified Professional Editor (CPE) (2014)
- Certified Structural Editor (2013)
- Certified Stylistic Editor (2014)
- Certified Copy Editor (2007)
- Certified Proofreader (2007)
Editors Canada Volunteer Participation
- Publications (2014, 2015)
I am a chemist, metallurgist and wordsmith, and I run an editing company specializing in science, engineering and medicine.
If you have scientific, engineering or medical material that needs to be understood and properly appreciated by people outside your field, I can help.
I am a Certified Professional Editor, having passed the EAC professional examinations in structural editing, stylistic editing, copy editing, proofreading and production editing. I am also a registered Professional Chemist (P.Chem.) with postgraduate-level training in metallurgical engineering. I understand not only the language and conventions of editing but also those of science and technology. I can help you to make your complex scientific and technical works clearer and more easily understood by your peers in other fields, by grant review committees, by regulatory agencies, by business clients, or by the general public.
Although my background is in the physical sciences, medical editing has become an additional specialty. I have edited documents in fields such as anesthesia, biochemistry, biomedical imaging, biostatistical methods, brain surgery, cellular biology, neural prosthetics, obesity, oncology, orthodontics, prenatal care, prion diseases and virology.
Scientific and technical expertise is especially important in editing research grants. Since the year 2000, I have edited successful major grant applications totalling more than $213 million in funding across a wide range of research areas. Your proposal could be next!
I have also edited many other types of technical documents, including patents, environmental assessments, engineering reports, annual reports, technical manuals, monographs, journal articles, books, poster presentations, advertisements, web pages and websites.
For help with your project, contact me today at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-908-8863.
- Copy editing
- Desktop publishing
- Developmental or project editing
- Layout and design
- On-screen editing
- Online editing
- Research and fact-checking
- Structural and substantive editing
- Stylistic editing
- Academic books and monographs
- Academic materials, general
- Academic papers and essays
- Advertising and marketing materials
- Conference materials
- E-materials, general
- Grant applications and fundraising
- Proposals and evaluations
- Reports, annual
- Reports, other
- Transcripts and minutes
- Earth sciences
- Ecology and environment
- Energy, mines and natural resources
- Food and drink
- Health and medicine, general
- Health care
- Industry and manufacturing
- Industry and technology, general
- Information technology
- Life sciences
- Mathematics and statistics
- Physical and chemical sciences
- Sciences, general