You are here
Copy Editing II
Copy editors constantly need to make editorial and process decisions. Not only does the English language allow a variety of ways to edit most texts, but also clients’ needs vary from project to project. Copy editors can also offer value through their wide knowledge of language and content, as well as their skill with electronic editing tools.
In this seminar you’ll practise on a variety of documents and learn tips and tricks from two experienced copy editors. You’ll learn
- where copy editing fits in the editorial process
- when and how to make decisions on grammar, punctuation, tone, length, language level, etc.
- what value add-ons you can offer, such as creating a style sheet, checking facts, correcting usage, and formatting documents
- to work efficiently using checklists, consistency-checking software, and Word’s editorial tools
- to interact constructively with clients
- how to edit your own writing
You’ll leave with the confidence to tune your edit appropriately and sensitively, customizing each document to its genre and situation. You’ll also leave with a detailed handbook that covers the seminar content and more.
Contact the Seminar Chair to discuss group training options at your office.