The Editors Canada conference committee is now inviting session proposals for the 2018 national conference, to be held in Saskatoon, SK, from May 25 to 27, at the Radisson Hotel Saskatoon.
The 2018 conference theme is Bridging Communities—Bringing together communication-related professions. The conference committee welcomes presentations and workshops related to the theme, and one of the 6 streams:
- Indigenous — issues concerning editing Indigenous material (by both Indigenous and non-Indigenous people)
- Language and Culture — editing practices, resources for writers and editors, multi-cultural considerations
- Science and Technology — writing and editing relating to science and technology (e.g., technical writing, instructional design), knowledge transfer, and technology used by writers and editors to do their work (e.g., software, specialized equipment)
- Media — editing in fields like radio and television, newspapers, magazines, and the internet
- Plain Language and Design — writing and editing in plain language, plain language and information design, teaching plain language
- Work Life — sessions pertaining to career development (e.g., setting rates, marketing, professional development), and those things that are common to everyone, regardless of their specific work situation (e.g., finding work-life balance, office ergonomics)
In keeping with our theme, the committee invites you to consider a broader audience for this conference—editors from across the country, as well as professionals from other related organizations. Sessions can be offered in English, French, or both. Sessions will be one hour long, including time for introductions, breakout discussions or other activities, Q&A, and evaluation forms.
If you have an idea for a session or would like to participate in a panel discussion, please complete and submit the Speaker Proposal Form. Proposals for additional panel topics are also welcome.
All completed proposal forms must be received by 11:59 p.m. PST, Friday, January 26, 2018.
Email your form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection and notification
The member proposals subcommittee will review and evaluate every submission received. All applicants will be informed of the subcommittee's decision by February 13, 2018.
If your proposal is selected, you will receive a modest honorarium and be eligible for a reduced conference registration fee. Please note that this reduced fee does not apply to pre-conference workshops or social events. Further participation in the conference is highly encouraged but is not required.
Thank you for your interest. We look forward to receiving your proposal! Please feel free to share this call for speakers with your other networks.
Editors Canada 2018 National Conference
May 2018 | Saskatoon, SK