You are here
Conference 2009: Location, dates and accommodations
The 30th anniversary conference took place from June 5 to 7 at the 89 Chestnut Conference Centre in downtown Toronto.
Conference news and announcements
conference program (741.63 KB)
QUESTIONS? Contact the conference team at email@example.com.
Location and dates
Conference 2009 will take place from June 5 to 7 at the 89 Chestnut Conference Centre in downtown Toronto. This conference centre is a unique venue that offers affordable hotel rooms on site as well as meeting facilities.
Visit the 89 Chestnut website for more information.
Travelling to Toronto
The 89 Chestnut Conference Centre is located in downtown Toronto, two blocks east of University Avenue, just south of Dundas Street.
Pearson International Airport is located west of the city. A taxi from the airport to downtown Toronto will cost about $50. Alternatively, the Airport Express shuttle goes right to the conference centre (it's listed as "U of T Residence (Chestnut Street)" on the schedule). The Airport Express roundtrip fare is $32.95. Visit www.torontoairportexpress.com for the schedule.
The Toronto Coach Terminal at Bay and Dundas is just three blocks from 89 Chestnut Conference Centre.
By train or public transit
Similarly, if you take the VIA Rail train to Union station, you need only hop on the TTC. The subway goes right to Union station, so just take the University-Spadina line north and go three stops to St. Patrick station, which is only two blocks from 89 Chestnut.
If you're within driving distance, EAC offers a couple of ways to find people from your area who may be travelling to the conference—consider posting a notice on Interactive Voice or the email forum.
89 Chestnut Conference Centre and Residences
The ultimate in no-commute convenience—stay right at the conference venue! Room rates are especially reasonable for downtown Toronto at the height of summer. Close to Union Station (GO train and bus, VIA Rail) and the Toronto Coach Terminal
Rates and Booking
- $94/night EAC conference rate
- Call 416 977-0707 ext. 0
- Quote EAC conference booking code EDIT 0605
- 89 Chestnut is also a University of Toronto residence
- Guest rooms are basic, with a double bed, desk and chair, telephone for local calls (use phone card for long-distance calls)
- Rooms are cleaned and serviced for check-in only (there is no daily maid service, beds will not be made or changed, towels will not be changed, room will not be cleaned until after checkout)
- Lounge with TV on each floor (no TV in guest rooms)
- Microwave and fridge on each floor
- Modem for high-speed Internet access available from front desk
- On-site coffee shop and cafeteria
- On-site fitness centre (cardio equipment and weights)
Address and Area
- 89 Chestnut Street
- Two blocks east of University Avenue, just south of Dundas Street
- Five-minute walk east on Dundas Street from St. Patrick station on the University subway line
- Fifteen-minute walk west from Dundas station on the Yonge subway line (or take the Dundas streetcar)
- Underground parking at 89 Chestnut located at the northwest corner of the building on the east side of Chestnut Street
$9.50 early-bird (arrive before 9 a.m. and depart before 7 p.m.)
$3.00 per half hour to a daytime maximum of $18.00 (up to 7 p.m.)
$23.00 overnight (for a full 24-hour period)
$7.00 evening flat rate (arrive after 6 p.m. and depart before 2 a.m.)
- Toronto City Hall
- Kensington Market, Eaton Centre, Dundas Square
- Art Gallery of Ontario
Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Toronto
For a quality hotel experience at a reasonable rate, EAC has a $129 rate at the Courtyard by Marriott at Yonge and Carlton. Close to Union Station (GO train and bus, VIA Rail) and the Toronto Coach Terminal.
Rates and Booking
- $129/night EAC conference rate
- Call 1 800 847-5075 or 416 924-0611
- Quote Editors' Association of Canada
CAA members may qualify for other discounted rates. Contact the hotel for more information.
- Quality hotel standards
- Single rooms have two queen beds or one king bed, desk, upholstered seating area
- Flat screen TV, in-room movies, Sony Playstation
- Complimentary wired and wireless high-speed Internet
- Iron and ironing board, coffee maker, hair dryer in each room
- Room windows open
- Complimentary coffee every morning in the lounge
- 24-hour fitness centre
- Indoor pool open 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Concierge can arrange Toronto tours
- On-site Yonge Street Grill restaurant
- Good rating on Audobon International Green Leaf Eco-Rating Program for Hotels—blue boxes in every room, linen reuse option, recycling and diversion program, lighting conversion
- 100% smoke-free
Address and Area
- 475 Yonge Street
- One block north of Carlton Street/College Street
- Hotel located one block north of College station on Yonge subway line
- To 89 Chestnut: From College station, one stop south to Dundas; walk or take Dundas streetcar west to Chestnut Street, walk south to 89 Chestnut Conference Centre
- No hotel parking, but several parking lots nearby (including beside hotel)
- Old Eaton's department store converted to College Park retail/office includes Toronto's most fashion-forward Winners location
- Eaton Centre
- Landmark diner Fran's on College Street, just west of Yonge, is open 24 hours (famous for liver and onions, rice pudding, soups, sandwiches)
- Toronto Police Museum (Monday to Friday only)
- Central YMCA
- Church Wellesley Village (Toronto's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender neighbourhood)
Travel made greener… Planetair
The Editors' Association of Canada encourages Conference 2009 attendees to purchase carbon offset credits from Planetair to help minimize our collective impact on the environment.
When you purchase a carbon offset, Planetair gives a financial contribution to projects that help sequester or prevent the release of carbon dioxide into the environment. Projects include investing in "green" or alternative energy sources, such as wind, solar and biomass energy, and technology and community-based projects.
Investing in initiatives like carbon offsets represents a step in the right direction and contributes to raising awareness about pollution and climate change.
We encourage you to help offset your environmental impact when travelling to and from "Celebrating the Past, Charting the Future: The 30th Anniversary Conference." Visit www.planetair.com to offset your air or vehicle travel.