The EAC Conference Committee is now recruiting speakers, workshop leaders and discussion moderators for the association's 2009 national conference, which takes place from June 5 to 7 in Toronto.
The theme of the conference is "Celebrating the Past, Charting the Future: The 30th Anniversary Conference." Some general topics for conference sessions are suggested below. Proposals related to this year's theme and suggested topics are encouraged, and other proposals are also welcome.
EAC members and non-members are welcome to submit proposals. If you know people who are experienced and interesting presenters, please forward this call for proposals to them.
When's the deadline?Friday, November 21, 2008. Send your proposal by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the topics?
- Editing books
- Editing for the Web and beyond
- Editing magazines or newsletters
- Editing business and corporate materials
- Editing scientific or medical texts and journals / technical editing
- Editing for non-profit agencies, non-government organizations, international organizations
- The politics of editing
- Editing translations
- Editing poetry
- Editing fiction
- Editing for self-publishers
- Developmental editing
- Editing e-books
- Substantive editors as information architects
- Launching a business
- Building a client base
- Networking for the tongue-tied
- Subcontracting and referring
- Estimating, quoting, charging and asking for what you're worth
- Building a communications team
- Working with clients at a distance
- Work / life balance
- The remote editor
- New markets for editors in the 21st century
- Social networking
- Income tax: Preparing returns, tracking income and expenses, writeoffs
C. In-house editing
- Starting up an editorial department
- Outsourcing and managing editorial projects
- Mentoring staff
- Budgeting editorial work
- Outsourcing offshore
- Hiring and firing
D. Tools and techniques
- Ergonomics and the editor
- Health and wellness
- Cutting office clutter
- Providing your own tech support
- Creating an editing portfolio
- Editing for style and impact
- Tracking changes: How editing and publishing have changed since 1979
E. Special interest groups, town hall meetings and more
- Using the Standard Freelance Editorial Agreement
- Resolving conflict with the help of the EAC mediator
- Preparing for the certification tests
- Crystal-ball-gazing: The future of editing
- Straddling the fence: Editors who write
- Senior editors' roundtable
- Rookie editors' clinic
- Editing in the global village
- Promoting editing to new markets
- Windows Vista / Office 2007
- Editing on non-standard platforms (e.g., Linux)
- Editing / Proofing in Adobe Acrobat
- Indexing software
- Voice-recognition software
- Specialized hardware (e.g., writing stylus, dual monitors)
- Cloud computing
G. Editors gone wild
- Unusual markets
- Off the page: The most unusual projects / clients you've ever had
- Editing new media
What to include in your proposal
- Your name (and co-presenters, if any) and contact information (mailing address, telephone and email)
- Proposed title of session
- Description of session (40- to 60-word maximum)
- Language of presentation (English or French)
- Type of session (panel / lecture / discussion / hands-on / other; please specify)
- Time required (1 hour / 1.5 hours / 2 hours)
- Level (beginning/intermediate/advanced/everyone)
- Preferred day (Saturday, June 6, or Sunday, June 7)
- Preferred time (morning / afternoon / doesn't matter)
- Maximum number of participants
- Equipment needs (if any; please specify)
- Short biography of each presenter (20- to 30-word maximum for each)
- Prior presentations at an EAC seminar or conference
- Anything else you'd like us to know
When will I hear back?The Conference Committee will respond to all interested presenters in January.
What's the compensation?If your proposal is accepted, your conference registration fee will be waived. Where there is more than one participant a portion of each participant's fee, will be waived. Each presenter is responsible for their travel and accommodation costs.
Deadline for submission of proposals: November 21, 2008. Send your proposal by email to email@example.com.
QUESTIONS? Contact the conference team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further information: www.editors.ca/conference.
This message was produced on behalf of the Conference Committee by the national office.