You are here
Train online with Editors Canada
Since 1979, Editors Canada has been delivering high-quality, local training for editors at every stage of their careers. Now you can get your professional development online with Editors Canada webinars.
Editors Canada 2016–17 webinar schedule
July 10–14: Summer Series: Almost Everything You Need to Know about Copy Editing and Grammar Skills
Date: Monday, July 10, to Friday, July 14
Time: 2 p.m., EDT / 11 a.m., PDT
Length: Five webinars, one hour each
Editors Canada member price: $150 for the complete series ($37.50 for individual webinars)
Non-Member price: $225 for the complete series ($50 for individual webinars)
Have you ever paused to wonder whether a comma really should be added before a particular word? or whether you should add a hyphen to a compound? or how to phrase queries to the author? .
In this five-part series, you'll learn how to handle the "four pillars of copy editing":
- commas, semicolons, and colons; and
- correct number style.
You'll also learn about the grammar skills that every copy editor needs to know and about communicating well with your author.
Day 1: Monday, July 10
- Three short grammar lessons
- Copy editing essentials
Day 2: Tuesday, July 11
- Commas, semicolons, and colons
Day 3: Wednesday, July 12
Day 4: Thursday, July 13
- Quotations, lists, parentheses and brackets, and ellipsis dots
Day 5: Friday, July 14
- Number style
- Communicating with the author
Moira White teaches writing and editing workshops across the country for government and corporate clients and online at Ryerson University. She also consults on plain language and clear communication through Ubiquitext Communications. Moira is a past president of Editors Canada.
Please note that registration takes place in two steps.
- Click on the "Register now" link above for the webinar(s) you wish to attend. You will be directed to a payment page.
- Once your payment is complete, you will receive a confirmation email. This email contains instructions to complete your registration on Zoom.us (our host). Be sure to complete this second step on Zoom.us to finalize your registration. Once you've finalized your registration, you will see your unique link to the webinar. You can copy this link down, but you'll also receive a reminder email with your webinar details a day ahead of time.
- Social Media for Professional Communicators
- Punctuation, Period!
- Creating Compelling Web Content
- Les réseaux sociaux, comment s'y retrouver
- Are You Certifiable? Preparing for Editors Canada's Certification Exams (free webinar!)
- Content That Counts: Content Development for Niche Media
- Grab Your Career by the Ears and Shake It
- La révision en traduction/adaptation littéraire
- Language Theory: What You're Really Editing Is the Person
- Developmental Editing for Fiction and Memoir
- Getting work with the Online Directory of Editors
- Creating and Maintaining In-House Style Guides
- Let the Fire Burn Brightly: Wordiness Be Gone!
- La langue de l'éducation au Canada, vous connaissez?
- How to Meet People in a Room Full of Strangers
- Introduction to Microsoft Word Styles 101
- From Wordiness to Plain Language : Editing with Style
- Good Grammar: It's More Than a Gut Feel
- How to Evolve Your Writing from Print to Online
- Professional Editorial Standards: How do they work for you?
- La correction d'épreuves de manuels
- A Linguist's Guide to Grammar
- Techniques de révision après traduction
- What's Wrong with This Sentence?
- Programme d’agrément en révision linguistique – Réviseurs Canada : Webinaire d’information (free webinar!)