You are here
Annette Gingrich, BSc
Editors Canada Volunteer Participation
- British Columbia Branch (2019, 2020, 2021)
- Student Relations (2020, 2021)
I have two specialties: fiction editing and health care editing. I help clients produce writing they feel great about by examining how a project’s structure, wording, and punctuation might be enhanced.
I edit for both new and experienced fiction authors; short stories are my favourite genre. I am also experienced in manuscript evaluation, and can review your project to provide constructive feedback on next steps.
In the realm of health and safety, I have written and edited procedures, newsletters, and correspondence for government agencies, health authorities, and non-profits. As a patient safety investigator, I produced highly detailed reports on critical incidents. I am comfortable with complex clinical information, and can also reword those concepts in plain language for laypersons.
I have diverse personal and professional experiences I enjoy drawing on to inform my editing and writing; here’s what I’ve been up to:
- grew up in the country, on a hobby farm
- became a professional ballet dancer, touring internationally
- had a bunch of crappy retail and restaurant jobs
- worked with seniors at a day centre
- got my science degree
- regulated seniors’ housing and investigated health and safety issues across the province
- worked for a provincial health authority, responding to complaints about prehospital care and interhospital transfers
- investigated patient safety events from a systems perspective
- worked for a regional health authority, addressing complaints and risk management issues
- applied investigative and systems analysis expertise to help the health authority improve their critical incident review process and increase patient safety
Education and certification:
Editing Certificate, Simon Fraser University
Investigation and Enforcement Skills Certificate, Justice Institute of British Columbia
Bachelor of Science (animal biology major, English minor), University of British Columbia
- including a course on Technical Terms of Medicine & Biological Science
graduate, Royal Winnipeg Ballet School, Professional Division
My areas of experience include: administrative fairness, burnout, complaint management, critical incident investigation, interviewing, systems analysis, emergency medical dispatch, emergency medical services, paramedicine, patient safety, quality improvement, and risk management.
"Thank you so, so much. The in-line edits are perfect . . . As for the comments, those are so helpful.
I cannot thank you enough, Annette. Wow." Adrian Denegar