You are here
elisabeth (Libby) handler
Marketing Services Unlimited
Editors Canada Volunteer Participation
- Insurance Task Force (2018)
Let me introduce myself
I’m Libby Handler, an experienced, meticulous, freelance bilingual editor and proofreader who is fluently bilingual (English and French). I work under my company name, Marketing Services Unlimited, which I established over 30 years ago
Experienced in multiple sectors
- financial communications
- financial statements and annual reports
- data field management
- corporate training manuals and style guides
- direct marketing
- health & wellness
- I'm particularly adept at cross-proofing between French and English.
- Companies and communicators spend a lot of time reviewing, tweaking and rewriting material to ensure the words and phrasing used in their messages are not only clear and relevant, but also that they accurately reflect the brand tone and voice they want to project. A proper translation is not a literal rendition of the original language, but should accurately reflect the intent and message of the original material. However, sometimes things do get “lost in translation”, and my skill and experience in verifying translated material have often proven to be of great benefit to my clients.
- I am highly efficient, with a keen, discerning eye, adroit at juggling multiple projects and deadlines at the same time, and I am adept at quickly identifying errors and inconsistencies.
- I’m experienced in all aspects of copy editing: substantive, structural and stylistic editing as well as comprehensive proofreading, enhanced by my strong knowledge of the rules surrounding grammar, punctuation, diction and syntax.
- Reviewing special elements such as charts, tables, graphics, formatting footnotes and endnotes is one of my strengths.
- I’m comfortable working with different channels -- hard copy, digital copy, online copy, Web and email – in accordance with industry-standard best practices, house styles and client specifications.
- As a result of my varied experience, I have become very familiar with the requirements of industry-specific Canadian regulatory bodies such as Advertising Standards Canada (ASC), the Pharmaceutical Advertising Advisory Board (PAAB) and the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC). In addition, I have gained a thorough knowledge of various industry-standard style and usage guides, including The Canadian Press Stylebook: A Guide for Writers and Editors, the Chicago Manual of Style and the Associated Press Stylebook.
- Over an 18-year period, I was a significant contributor to an advertising team to ensure the successful launch of hundreds of national and international financial campaigns.
- I have served on the editorial team of a national, bilingual, controlled-circulation magazine, where I started as an editorial assistant and ultimately became Managing Editor.
- I have been involved in developing a number of style guides and training manuals for various industries.
- My solid writing/rewriting skills have been established through the development and production of newsletters, educational material and promotional/advertising pieces for a number of trade associations.
- I am proficient in Microsoft Office applications – Word, Excel, PowerPoint – as well as Adobe Acrobat.
- Trained in the TESOL program (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) at Humber College --, an experience that has given me a great appreciation for the importance of ensuring that the tone and language of material are appropriate for the audience receiving it.
- Bilingual editing
- Copy editing
- Desktop publishing
- Editing translations
- On-screen editing
- Online editing
- Structural and substantive editing
- Stylistic editing
- Advertising and marketing materials
- Business materials, general
- Conference materials
- E-materials, general
- In-house publications
- Labels and packaging
- Reports, annual
- Style guides
- Finance and taxation
- Food and drink
- Health and medicine, general
- Health care
- Life sciences
- Psychology and mental health
- Sciences, general