You are here
- Tom Fairley Award finalist (1997, 2001)
- Certified Copy Editor (2008)
- Certified Professional Editor (CPE) (2009)
- Certified Proofreader (2006)
- Certified Structural and Stylistic Editor (2009)
Editors Canada Volunteer Participation
- Certification (2014, 2016)
- Conference (2012)
- Newsletter (2008, 2009, 2010)
- Publications (2013, 2015)
Certified Professional Editor; 30 years' editing experience with a huge variety of publications – royal commission reports, textbooks, think-tank studies, industry and construction safety manuals, professional journals, consumer magazines, concert programs, community newsletters, grant applications – and many more.
Recent or noteworthy projects have involved occupational health and safety, auditing, operations management, climate change, economics, forest regeneration, forestry industry technology, environmental assessment, trapping and fur harvesting, anti-terrorism laws, the sociology of hitchhiking, and homeopathy.
As an editor, my goal is to help writers say what they mean in a manner that their intended readers will understand and appreciat, and avoid embarrassing mistakes.
Skilful, diplomatic, versatile, and prompt.
Clients have included Ontario ministries and government agencies; federal departments and royal commissions; book publishers, including Oxford University Press; the C.D. Howe Institute and other think-tanks; universities and school boards; design firms; professional and industry associations; non-profit organizations; performing arts organizations; and private individuals, including ESL authors.
Two-time finalist, Tom Fairley Award for Editorial Excellence.
Have critiqued, proofread, and marked EAC certification examinations. Author of grammar column for EAC's Toronto newsletter. Presenter of numerous professional development workshops.
Other areas of expertise or interest: Homeopathy, sailing, riding, gardening, singing, choral music, opera, and ballet.
Long-time resident of Toronto Island.
Education: Honours BA, French and German; MA, German; a year's study at a German university; Ontario secondary school teaching certificate.
- Consulting and manuscript evaluation
- Copy editing
- Editing translations
- On-screen editing
- Plain language
- Production editing
- Structural and substantive editing
- Stylistic editing
- Translation, French to English
- Translation, other
- Academic papers and essays
- Books, general
- E-materials, general
- Educational materials, general
- Government materials, general
- Graphical materials
- Manuals and how-to books
- Periodicals, general
- Public relations materials
- Reference materials, general
- Reports, annual
- Reports, other
- Style guides
- Tests and assessment materials
- Textbooks, college and university
- Textbooks, elementary and high school
- Trade non-fiction
- Construction and real estate
- Ecology and environment
- Economy, politics, and law, general
- Energy, mines and natural resources
- Finance and taxation
- Gender studies
- Health and medicine, general
- History, Canadian
- International relations
- Labour and employment
- Mathematics and statistics
- Psychology and mental health
- Sciences, general
- Social sciences