You are here
Jennifer Dawn Foster
Editors Canada Volunteer Participation
- Conference (2014, 2015)
- Toronto Branch (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
I'm a Toronto-based freelance editor and writer, specializing in book and custom publishing, marketing and communications, and magazines. I work on everything from adult and children's fiction and non-fiction, consumer and trade magazines, (e-)newsletters, ads and POS materials to brochures, web copy/blog posts, reports/manuals, curatorial content and book reviews. My company is Planet Word.
With 20 years’ experience as a professional editor and writer, 15 of those as a freelancer, I meet deadlines and aim to provide superior products for my clients, which include The Globe and Mail, Owlkids Books, PwC Management Services, Art Gallery of Ontario, House of Anansi Press, Dundurn Press, Quill & Quire, Sunnybrook Research Institute, Toronto Foundation, McMichael Canadian Art Collection, Havergal College, Canadian Children's Book News, Indspire, Ontario Dental Association, the D. F. Plett Historical Research Foundation, Canada Foundation for Innovation, Oxford Properties Group and Upon A Star Books/Victorine Publishing.
My full suite of freelance editorial skills includes: writing (blogging, copy writing, rewriting, ghost writing); substantive, stylistic and line editing; copy editing; researching and interviewing; proofreading; fact-checking; project consultation/management; and mentoring.
I am proficient in: Adobe Pro, Adobe InCopy and InDesign, ConceptShare, Microsoft Office and Word.
My educational qualifications include an honours BA in sociology and mass communications and a bachelor of applied arts in journalism, specializing in magazines, as well as ongoing professional development in editing and writing.
I volunteer my time as:
• co-chair of Editors Toronto;
• administrative director of Rowers Reading Series;
• vice-president of Canadian Authors Association, Toronto branch;
• a writer and an editor for BoldFace, the blog of Editors Toronto, as well as for other Editors Canada and Editors Toronto publications and projects;
• a copy editor/proofreader for Networds, the blog of the Toronto chapter of the Professional Writers Association of Canada (PWAC), and Pulse, the e-newsletter of PWAC's Toronto chapter; and
• a mentor to novice writers via PWAC Toronto.
I also mentor novice editors via Editors Canada and via Planet Word.
Thank you for visiting my profile, and I look forward to working with you!
- Consulting and manuscript evaluation
- Copy editing
- Developmental or project editing
- On-screen editing
- Online editing
- Plain language
- Research and fact-checking
- Structural and substantive editing
- Stylistic editing
- Academic materials, general
- Advertising and marketing materials
- Atlases, maps, plans
- Books, children's and young adult
- Books, general
- Books, self-published
- Business materials, general
- E-materials, general
- Educational materials, general
- Fiction, mystery
- In-house publications
- Labels and packaging
- Periodicals, general
- Public relations materials
- Reports, annual
- Reports, other
- Style guides
- Teachers' guides
- Trade non-fiction
- Ecology and environment
- Economy, politics, and law, general
- Finance and taxation
- Food and drink
- Gardening and horticulture
- Gender studies
- Government, municipal
- Health and medicine, general
- Leisure, general
- Medicine, alternative
- Outdoor recreation
- Sciences, general
- Social sciences
- Society, general
- Travel and tourism