You are here
Jennifer Dawn Foster
Editors Canada Volunteer Participation
- Conference (2014, 2015)
- Toronto Branch (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Specializing in book and custom publishing, marketing and communications, and magazines, I'm a seasoned Toronto-based editor, writer, and mentor. My company is Planet Word. Client projects include everything from fiction and non-fiction books, consumer and trade magazines, newsletters, blog posts and PR materials to web copy, reports, curatorial content, style guides, and book reviews.
With 22 years’ experience as a professional editor and writer, 17 of those as a freelancer, I meet deadlines and aim to provide superior products for my clients, which include The Globe and Mail, Art Gallery of Ontario, Penguin Random House Canada, Canadian Children’s Book News, Firefly Books, Havergal College, House of Anansi Press, Greystone Books, PwC Management Services LP, Annick Press, Indspire, McMichael Canadian Art Collection, ECW Press, Ontario Dental Association, Canadian Authors Association, Owlkids Books, Dolce Media Group, Figure 1 Publishing and Toronto Foundation.
My full suite of freelance editorial skills includes: writing (blogging, copy writing, rewriting, ghost writing); substantive, stylistic, and line editing; copy editing; researching and interviewing; proofreading; fact-checking; project consultation/management; mentoring; beta reading/manuscript evaluation; book reviewing; and book judging.
My educational qualifications include an honours bachelor of arts in sociology and mass communications from York University and a bachelor of applied arts/MA in journalism, specializing in magazines, from Ryerson University. I also engage in ongoing professional development in editing and writing.
I volunteer/have volunteered my time as:
• a writer and an editor for BoldFace, the blog of Editors Toronto, as well as for other Editors Canada and Editors Toronto publications and projects;
• a judge for a national book award;
• a book reviewer for the Whistler Independent Book Awards; and
• the assistant editor of Hook, Line & Chapter, an e-newsletter of Canadian Authors Association.
I was co-chair of Editors Toronto for the 2017–18 and 2018–19 seasons. I've been mentorong novice editors with Editors Canada since 2012, as well as via Planet Word. I was vice-president of the Toronto branch of Canadian Authors Association from November 2018 to November 2019, and from March 2016 to April 2020, I was administrative director of Rowers Reading Series, which bid farewell to the Toronto literary landscape after 13 amazing years! I'm also a member of the Editorial Freelancers Association, The Canadian Children's Book Centre, the Canadian Freelance Guild (formerly the Professional Writers Association of Canada), and ACES: The Society for Editing, among other organizations.
Please visit my website, Planet Word, for more details on my skills and my experience, as well as client testimonials and a cross-section of my freelance and my volunteer work.
Thank you for visiting my online profile, and I hope we have the pleasure of working together!
- Consulting and manuscript evaluation
- Copy editing
- Developmental or project editing
- On-screen editing
- Online editing
- Plain language
- Research and fact-checking
- Structural and substantive editing
- Stylistic editing
- Academic materials, general
- Advertising and marketing materials
- Atlases, maps, plans
- Books, art and photography
- Books, children's and young adult
- Books, general
- Books, self-published
- Business materials, general
- E-materials, general
- Educational materials, general
- Fiction, mystery
- In-house publications
- Labels and packaging
- Manuals and how-to books
- Periodicals, general
- Policies and procedures
- Public relations materials
- Reports, annual
- Reports, other
- Style guides
- Teachers' guides
- Trade non-fiction
- Ecology and environment
- Economy, politics, and law, general
- Finance and taxation
- Food and drink
- Gardening and horticulture
- Gender studies
- Government, municipal
- Health and medicine, general
- Leisure, general
- Medicine, alternative
- Outdoor recreation
- Sciences, general
- Social sciences
- Society, general
- Travel and tourism