You are here
Fiction Editor. To “ReVision” writing is to see it with fresh insight. I work in disappearing ink, improving a manuscript’s clarity and flow without sacrificing the author’s desired vision or unique voice. I’m committed to providing a respectful, collaborative editing experience, and I consider it a privilege to be entrusted with polishing a writer’s work.
My varied experience includes fiction, nonfiction, creative/narrative nonfiction, magazine articles, newsletters, government reports, and academic papers for a variety of disciplines. I now specialize in working with fiction authors, whether they would like to self-publish, find representation through a literary agent or traditional publisher, or are simply looking to improve. I particularly enjoy working with character-driven fiction, and I welcome first-time authors.
Here’s what a few of my clients have to say about me and my work:
"Prior to sending out my manuscript to literary agents, I debated whether to invest in professional editing. I am so very glad I did. Tanis’s edits elevated my manuscript to a place I never would have arrived on my own. I had always thought I had an excellent command of the English language (with a degree in linguistics and two theses under my belt), but Tanis’s edits really humbled me. She not only caught punctuation and grammatical errors that gave my manuscript the polish it needed prior to querying, but she also caught inconsistencies and repetition and helped improve word choice. She also cheered me on. Having her feedback helped tremendously. I felt a great weight of doubt drop off me. Tanis offered a fresh, sharp, and professional perspective, and I am extremely grateful for all of her meticulous work."
— J.R. Yates, Contemporary Romance/NA Author
"I appreciate all your kind words and encouragement and can see what a difference editing makes. There are some sentences I rewrote at least a dozen times, and they still weren't right. Your suggested changes are so simple and perfect, I'm left wondering how I never thought of them. It's wonderful to know the manuscript is of professional quality, and that goes a long way in feeling confident to pitch or query agents."
— Joy Norstrom, Women's Fiction Author
“For several years, I stumbled through revision after revision of my manuscript. I doubted everything, especially my descriptions and setting. Finally, I decided that it was time to bring in a professional, but I was afraid of losing the voice I’d worked so hard to maintain throughout my manuscript. Eventually, I found my way to Tanis’s website, and when she sent me a sample edit, I was convinced we would be a perfect fit. My voice was still there. She was professional at every turn. She made it easy to understand everything from minor grammatical issues to larger “big picture” problems that needed work. I have no hesitation recommending Tanis to anyone looking for an editor and can’t wait to work with her again!”
— D.J. Kinsey, YA Author
For more testimonials, please visit my website: www.revisionediting.ca
- BA Honours English, University of Alberta, 1994
- Continual professional development courses on everything from grammar and copyediting to developmental editing and the craft of writing fiction.
- Manuscript Evaluations
- Stylistic Editing/Line Editing
- Substantive Editing/Content Editing/Developmental Editing/Structural Editing
- Proofreading of previously edited manuscripts in a Word file
- Chicago Manual of Style
- Creating or following house style guides
- Canadian, British, or American spelling preferences
- On-screen Editing using Word's "Track Changes" and "Comments" features
Genres and Subjects:
- Literary Fiction
- Mainstream Fiction
- Genre Fiction (Romance, Women’s Fiction, Horror, Suspense, Fantasy, Thriller, Mystery, etc.)
- Adult, New Adult, Young Adult, Teen, and Middle Grade
- Full-length novels, novellas, novelettes, and short stories
- Consulting and manuscript evaluation
- Copy editing
- On-screen editing
- Structural and substantive editing
- Stylistic editing
- Books, children's and young adult
- Books, general
- Books, self-published
- Fiction, mystery