You are here
Virginia M McGowan
McGowan & Co.: The Write Edit Group
Editors Canada Volunteer Participation
- Training and Development (2015)
Professionals Helping Professionals Communicate
We are a research, writing, and editing company working globally to provide professional services to other professionals, businesses, not-for-profits, and governments.
Often we address health, mental health, addictions, criminal justice, environment, policy, Aboriginal, and gender issues, but our clients include high-tech firms and individuals requiring assistance with business plans.
We also research and prepare white papers and case studies for content marketing strategies.
As experienced and successful professionals, we know the standards you must meet. As professionals helping professionals communicate, we promote effective writing to ensure your work is clear, coherent, consistent, and correct. We also offer project management services.
Our clients are typically:
- Professional, technical, government, or scientific organizations in need of research and analysis, white papers and case studies (including for B2B), proposal or report writers, literature reviews, backgrounder documents, discussion papers, editing, proofreading, indexing, fact checking, copyright, and/or permissions;
- Scholars, including those for whom English is a foreign language, who need help preparing a manuscript for submission to an English-language journal or scholarly press or a grant proposal for funding;
- Graduate students seeking a professional editor or proofreader for a thesis or dissertation;
- Authors requiring editing (developmental, structural, stylistic, or copy editing), proofreading, and/or indexing of their nonfiction manuscripts, as well as copyrights and permissions for previously published materials, or project management.
Our individualized writing and editing services include manuscript appraisal to provide you with a professional arms-length critique and constructive analysis of a nonfiction work in progress. We'll help you prepare your manuscript to ensure that it is ready for submission.
We also undertake contracts for proposal development, research and analysis, and report or discussion paper preparation, including project management if desired.
Our team comprises the principals, Virginia McGowan and Richard Forsyth, as well as Associates with specialized expertise. We have advanced (graduate and post-graduate) degrees in the social, health, and behavioural sciences. The principals and a number of our Associates have worked extensively in academic, community-based, and government contexts and hold adjunct or emeritus positions in graduate faculties of Canadian universities.
Moreover, we are published scholars and authors with successful proposal writing track records as well as training and experience in research, writing, editing, proofreading, indexing, fact checking, copyright, and permissions. We are also experienced in detecting plagiarism, and will ensure effective visual display of data, accuracy of quotations, and the correct format for citations for a polished professional document.
A major work, published in August 2013, explores key issues from the point of view of a pivotal figure in some of the most significant political, social, and intellectual struggles of Aboriginal peoples in contemporary Canada. A Metaphoric Mind: Selected Writings of Joseph Couture (edited by R. Couture and V. McGowan) is available for review free of charge. Download the complete book or select chapters as a free PDF at www.aupress.ca.
"A Metaphoric Mind is meticulously edited and, for me, both inspiring and easy to read. The editors have done a wonderful job of pulling together what I believe to be one of the most important works on Indian spirituality the world will see." - Fil Fraser CM, DLitt(Hon), author, columnist, producer, and director.
"Dr. McGowan has a unique talent to provide high quality executive level summaries of complex issues while providing attention to the correction of every micro-level error of a report or document. In addition to her deserved reputation as an academic researcher, she is an exceptional project manager and quality control expert. I have benefitted tremendously from over six years of high quality performance from Dr. McGowan. Her research, writing, editorial, and leadership competencies are of the highest quality." - Michael Bettman PhD, Director General, Offender Programs and Reintegration Branch, Correctional Service Canada.
- Consulting and manuscript evaluation
- Copy editing
- Developmental or project editing
- On-screen editing
- Online editing
- Plain language
- Research and fact-checking
- Structural and substantive editing
- Stylistic editing
- Academic books and monographs
- Academic materials, general
- Academic papers and essays
- Briefs, précis, and executive summaries
- Conference materials
- Curriculum guidelines
- Educational materials, general
- Government materials, general
- Grant applications and fundraising
- In-house publications
- Manuals and how-to books
- Periodicals, general
- Policies and procedures
- Proposals and evaluations
- Reference materials, general
- Reports, annual
- Reports, other
- Study guides
- Tests and assessment materials
- Textbooks, college and university
- Theses and dissertations
- Aboriginal people
- Archaeology and ancient history
- Australia and Oceania
- Developing countries
- Gender studies
- Government, federal
- Humanities, general
- Leisure, general
- Life sciences
- Mathematics and statistics
- Medicine, alternative
- North America
- Psychology and mental health
- Religion and spirituality
- Sciences, general
- Social sciences
- Society, general
- United States