You are here
Professional Development Seminars
Registration fees and policies
|Members||$225 + tax|
|Non-members||$350 + tax|
|Student members||$150 + tax|
If Editors Ottawa-Gatineau cancels a seminar, we will refund your paid registration fee in full.
If you wish to cancel your registration, the following terms apply:
- You must send an email to email@example.com to notify us that you are canceling your registration.
- If you cancel before registration closes (up to one week before the seminar) we will refund 50 percent of your paid registration fee.
- If you cancel after registration closes (within seven days of the seminar), no refund is possible.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for all seminar registration and cancellation enquiries.
Seminars for Spring 2021
Editors Ottawa-Gatineau has moved our Professional Development seminars to an online format, using Zoom. These are 6-hour, real-time, instructor-led workshops with hands-on exercises, discussions, and personal attention. Although our seminars are completely virtual, they are not webinars and they will not be recorded.
For Spring 2021, we have one seminar left:
- Managing Editorial Teams with Carolyn Brown on June 17 & 18 (two half-days)
We are planning more online seminars for fall 2021 and we will announce them here as soon as the schedule is confirmed. We plan to resume in-person seminars again once Covid-19 restrictions permit.
Managing Editorial Teams with Carolyn Brown
Thursday June 17, 9:00am –12:00 pm &
Friday June 18, 9:00am –12:00 pm
If you are an editor thinking of moving up into supervision or management of other editors, or if you’re not an editor but you supervise editors, this one-day seminar is for you. Through sharing experiences, you will learn from the leader (an experienced editorial manager) and each other.
- Making the transition to management (for editors)
- Editors are professionals (for non-editors): Motivation, autonomy, professional development, professional standards and ethics
- Helping your team understand their role in the organization
- Aligning with senior management expectations, or, Why do documents need to be edited and why does editing take so long?
- Balancing tensions and resolving conflicts between professional roles and organizational expectations
- Selling your organization on the value editing adds and promoting "upstream" quality control
- Serving your organization by adding value such as plain language and web content
- Creating a positive, consistent editing culture that meets industry standards: style guides, editorial issues, professional editorial standards
About the Instructor
Carolyn Brown is a Certified Professional Editor and Editor in the Life Sciences. She has edited a wide variety of material for 35 years, specializing in scientific and medical publications for the past 25 years. She managed an editorial team for nine years. She is the author of the chapter on citation in Editing Canadian English 2nd edition and a perennial seminar leader.