The Editors Canada national executive council (NEC) has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 international conference in Montreal, which was scheduled for June 19–21, due to the threat of COVID-19. This was a decision the NEC did not take lightly, but ultimately the health and safety of our attendees, speakers, and volunteers needed to take precedence.
This decision places a huge financial burden on the association, both in terms of lost conference revenue and issuing refunds. The NEC is already discussing ways to ensure the future of Editors Canada, but it will be a tough road ahead. Here's how you can help:
- If you have already registered for the conference:
- Consider deferring your registration fee to the 2021 conference, which will be held June 11–13 in Edmonton, Alberta.
- Donate some or all of your registration fees to Editors Canada to help us continue to provide benefits to editors across the country and internationally.
- Offer to delay your refund if you are able to wait so that Editors Canada can spread the refunds over a longer time period, to ease the financial burden.
- If you haven't registered for the conference:
- Consider making a donation to Editors Canada through our website.
If you are unable to commit to any of these options, please be aware that our national office is currently closed due to COVID-19, and with staff working from home, the process of issuing refunds will be slow. We ask for your patience during this extremely stressful time. The conference co-chairs will be in contact with all registrants via email.
More information will follow regarding the 2020 annual general meeting, which was to be held at the conference.
The Editors Canada NEC and office staff wish you good health during this time of uncertainty.