The Editors Canada conference committee is now inviting session proposals for our 40th anniversary conference, to be held in Halifax, Nova Scotia, from June 7 to 9, 2019, at the Westin Nova Scotian hotel.
The 2019 conference theme is Editors Canada 2019: Celebrating 40 Years. The conference committee welcomes presentations and workshops related to the theme, and one of the six streams:
- Navigating our story — sessions that highlight the culture of Nova Scotia and Atlantic Canada. Examples: editing in Atlantic Canada; helping recent immigrants tell their stories
- Navigating our markets — sessions about where and how editors find work, especially evolving and emerging opportunities. Examples: future of book publishing and book selling; teaching and coaching
- Navigating our business — sessions that help members conduct their business and do their work. Examples: using the new Editors Canada template for contracts, work-life balance,
- Navigating techniques and technologies — sessions about resources and practices that assist members in working better and more efficiently
- Navigating language and diversity — sessions that guide members in respecting the diverse needs of clients. Examples: ESL/EAL writers, editing poetry
- Navigating 40 years of Editors Canada — sessions that celebrate our 40th anniversary, looking back and looking forward. Examples: panels (one in French and one in English) of long-time and recent members, the future of editing
In keeping with our theme, the committee invites you to consider how editing and Editors Canada have evolved over the last 40 years and how they might change in the future. Sessions can be offered in English, French, or both. Sessions will be one hour long, including time for introductions, breakout discussions or other activities, and Q&A.
If you have an idea for a session or would like to participate in a panel discussion, please complete and submit the
Proposals for additional panel topics are also welcome.
All completed proposals must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST, Friday, December 14, 2018.
Selection and notification
The speaker coordinators, Valerie Mansour, Whitney Moran, and Anne Curry will evaluate every proposal and inform applicants of their decisions by January 31, 2019.
If your proposal is selected, you will be eligible for a reduction in the conference registration fee. Please note that this reduced fee does not apply to pre-conference workshops or social events. Further participation in the conference is highly encouraged but is not required.
Thank you for your interest. We look forward to receiving your proposal! Please feel free to share this call for speakers with your other networks.
For more information, please contact:
Whitney Moran, Anne Curry, Valerie Mansour
Editors Canada 2019 National Conference
June 7–9, 2019
Halifax, Nova Scotia