I am writing to let you know that the Editors Canada directors are aware of the possible ramifications the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) might have on association activities and to assure you that we are staying vigilant about the situation.
Current situation and Editors Canada measures
Currently, gatherings and travel bans are in place throughout the country. The Canadian government officials and health experts are advising people to limit their interactions with others and follow hygiene protocols that should be observed during cold and flu season, including proper handwashing and avoiding touching your face.
To comply with the effort to stop the spread of COVID-19, Editors Canada has made the following decisions:
- We will continue to monitor the Public Health Agency of Canada website: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
- We will continue to monitor communications from the Cabinet Committee on the federal response to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
- We recommend that branches and twigs comply with their local and provincial governments’ recommendations and limit gatherings, where applicable. Please contact your local branch or twig directly for information about any specific event you plan on attending.
- The national office staff will be working from home until health and government authorities deem it safe to lift the current measures. Should you need to contact a staff member, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effect on future Editors Canada activities and events
As of yet, scientists do not know all the details about the spread of COVID-19 or the potential duration of the outbreak. The bans on travel and gatherings might be extended as the situation evolves.
For the time being, however, Editors Canada will continue to plan for the #Editors20 International Editors Conference (Montreal, Quebec, June 19–21, 2020). The directors have studied the contract in place with the conference centre and discussed the manner in which we will deal with the various possible outcomes. If anything changes in that regard, we will let you know promptly.
- The physical national office is closed, but staff members are still available via email.
- Confirm local events are still happening before you head out.
- #Editors20 is still happening as of now.