Do you have several years of full-time experience as an editor?
Have you already achieved a high level of expertise?
Get the recognition you deserve. Register now for Editors Canada's 2021 professional certification exams in structural editing and proofreading.
- Structural Editing: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., local time
- Proofreading: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., local time
Registration deadline: Friday, October 22, 2021
Exams offered: Structural Editing and Proofreading
NEW: 2021 Proofreading exam to be written onscreen; both exams offered by remote testing only
Given the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Editors Canada is moving all professional certification exams to a fully electronic format. This means that the Proofreading exam, which was previously offered on paper, will now be written onscreen, using PDF: candidates will be asked to mark up text using the annotation tools in (the free) Adobe Acrobat Standard. Instructions will be provided in advance, so that candidates can familiarize themselves with this markup method.
In addition, Editors Canada will not arrange in-person examination sites in 2021. Instead, we plan to offer two ways to take the exam:
- Remote proctoring: Confirmation details will follow soon, but we are working on a method to offer the exams using a remote proctoring service, which will enable candidates to write the exam on their own computer at home, providing they have a webcam and stable Internet access.
- Arrange your own site and invigilator: Alternatively, candidates can take advantage of our existing "remote testing" policy, whereby you arrange to write the exam at a test location that's convenient for you, providing it meets certain criteria and you can arrange for a suitable invigilator. Email us for details, or visit the Remote Locations section of our web page. Candidates must follow all applicable local rules and laws for physical distancing, masking, and other safety measures while in their arranged space.
Registration: Register online now.
By passing one of the 2021 professional certification exams, you will be recognized as a Certified Structural Editor or Certified Proofreader.
If you're pursuing the full certification of Certified Professional Editor (CPE), this may be the year to complete your CPE designation.
Four reasons to register today
- Professional certification credentials are recognized indicators of quality. The exam requires experience and expertise, and can challenge even the most seasoned editors. Earning this credential proves that you know your stuff.
- As the professional certification program gains recognition, promoting yourself as a certified editor tells prospective clients that you are the best of the best. It can also enable you to raise your fees.
- Professional certification is a requirement for some jobs. Examples of employers that ask for our certification program credentials include the governments of Nova Scotia and Ontario.
- The challenge of studying for the exam can be rewarding. Join a study group, review everything you know (or think you know), quiz yourself—and learn from your mistakes. Determine areas for improvement, and gain confidence in your skills.
On your marks, get set, register!
If you're certification-ready, today is the day to take the first step toward the recognition you deserve. Get the gold standard of editing. Register for Editors Canada professional certification today.
Visit editors.ca/certification to learn more about our landmark professional certification program.