Part of the job of an editor is to see bias and root it out. Editors Canada has prioritized equity, diversity and inclusion. Supporting people who have traditionally been excluded from our industry is one of the ways the association has pledged to do better.
We are pleased to announce we are now accepting applications for the 2022 Equity Fellowship.
This annual fellowship is designed to support editors who have traditionally been excluded by the publishing and editing industries, including editors who are BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and people of colour), 2SLGBTQIA+, neurodivergent and disabled.
The Equity Fellowship provides the following to up to three successful applicants each year:
- membership in Editors Canada for one year;
- registration for the annual conference or the congrès des langagiers et langagières (in French only) of Editors Canada;
- three Editors Canada webinars;
- one copy of the book Editing Canadian English (and Editorial Niches);
- one copy of the ebook From Contact to Contract;
- one copy of each of the four Certification Test Preparation Guides; and
- a listing in the Editors Canada Online Directory of Editors for one year.
Each fellowship is valued at $1,210.
How to apply
Editors Canada members, student affiliates and non-members are invited to apply for the fellowship by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a statement of 500 words or less that answers the question "How will this equity fellowship support you in your editing career?"
As described in the application instructions, the selection committee will choose up to three applicants who best describe
- how they qualify for the fellowship,
- that they understand what is entailed in editing as a profession and have some concrete goals for how they want to develop their career, and
- how the fellowship will support them in their career.
For complete application instructions and other information about the fellowship, visit the Equity Fellowship page.
The deadline for applications is Friday, April 8.