You are here
Train online with Editors Canada
Since 1979, Editors Canada has been delivering high-quality, local training for editors at every stage of their careers. Now you can get your professional development online with Editors Canada webinars.
Editors Canada 2018–19 webinar schedule
Meet Gutenberg: The New WordPress Content Editor
Presenter: Bud Kraus
Date: Wednesday, September 12
Time: 12 p.m., EDT / 9 a.m., PDT
Length: 1.5 hours
Member price: $59.50 + HST
Non-Member price: $85.00 + HST
Are you ready for the new WordPress editor that will forever change the way you create web content?
Gutenberg, the name of the new editor, is a new publishing experience for WordPress that’s currently in the works: get ready to make your words, pictures, and layout look as good on screen as they do in your imagination, without any code.
Soon, WordPress 5.0 will be released. It will feature a revolutionary content editor that will entirely replace the WP editor you are currently using.
Gutenberg has evolved over the past year to the point where it is time to learn its fundamentals no matter how you use WordPress. Don’t be caught by surprise. Get a head start on what this major change is all about.
In this presentation, Bud will help you get ready for Gutenberg by showing you:
- An overview of what Gutenberg is
- A demo of how it works
- How you'll soon be using its block editing system to add titles, headings, paragraphs,
quotes, and other types of copy; have text wrap around an image; and create reusable content
- How to move, duplicate and delete blocks
- A few plugins new to Gutenberg
- If your page builder works – or won’t – with Gutenberg
- What you can do to prepare for this important change
Bud Kraus has taught web design and WordPress for over 20 years in New York City and for his online students. He is the creator of the WP A To Z Series, a free WordPress training service. He works with small businesses and their sites, too.
Integrating Plain Language into Your Services: A Four-Part Program
Presenter: Kate Harrison Whiteside
Dates: Monday to Thursday,
October 22, 23, 24 & 25, 2018
Time: 12 p.m., EDT / 9 a.m., PDT
Length: Four 1-hour sessions over four days
Member price: $157.50+ HST
Non-Member price: $225.00 + HST
1. Preparing to Offer Plain Language Services
Not everyone will be informed about plain language. Success will depend on your ability to explain, plan and promote plain language as an integrated service. You’ll learn the key benefits of plain language to promote. Specifically, the webinar will
- Provide an overview of global approaches to plain language
- Present the five stages of the plain language process
- Teach you how to sell the benefits of plain language
- Help you plan to implement plain language with leader support
After this webinar, you will understand the five stages of the plain language process, how to set out a plan for plain language services and ways to build support with leaders and peers.
2. Audience-Focused Plain Language Practices
Plain language practitioners invest heavily in getting to know, understand and involve their audiences in the process—from start to finish. You will learn how to gain insights into your audience’s needs. Specifically, the webinar will
- Include audience role play
- Teach you how to create personas to increase audience empathy
- Present the benefits of audience appreciation
- Explore ways to target and benefit from audience involvement
After this webinar, you will see how to create and use personas and to understand audience involvement in process.
3. Writing and Editing Techniques
Plain language writing and editing use a holistic approach from the planning to the presentation. Clarity, conciseness and organization are delivered to meet the clients’ needs, discovered during the audience assessment stage. Examples, exercises and checklists will help you fuse plain language onto your existing skills and services. Specifically, this webinar will show you
- How to integrate plain language writing and editing styles, supported by checklists
- How to incorporate plain language writing guidelines and editing approaches
- The role of plain language in online and social media messages
After this webinar, you will have ideas on how to integrate plain language writing and editing into your services and develop resources. You’ll see before-and-after examples that demonstrate plain language.
4. Testing for User Understanding
Plain language testing and evaluating with audiences/users is a critical part of the process. We’ll look at options from basic approaches to focus groups to user testing. You will gain confidence in selecting and using testing methods or services. Specifically, this webinar will teach you
- About testing tools and options
- How to match testing to the task
- Ways to use the findings to direct writing, editing and design
This webinar will show you how to test content, match methods to a project, and apply results.
Kate Harrison WhitesideWhen Kate first saw the benefits of plain language for writers, readers and organizations, she integrated it into her writing, consulting and training services. That was over 25 years ago. Her commitment has grown beyond just her businesses. Kate is PLAIN (Plain Language Association International) membership co-chair, PLAIN and IPlainDay co-creator, conference speaker (PLAIN 2017, EC 2018), mentor and advocate. Motivated by her positive plain language experiences, Kate offers others the chance to learn through webinars, workshops and the PlainLanguageAcademy.com online program. Working from the inspiring Kootenay region in southern BC, Kate keeps spreading the word: plain language works for everyone.
Members of the following associations pay the Editors Canada member rate.
- ACES: The Society for Editing
- Association of Registered Graphic Designers
- Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council
- Editorial Freelancers Association
- Institute of Professional Editors Limited
- Society for Editors and Proofreaders
Please note that registration takes place in two steps.
- Click on the "Register now" link above for the webinar(s) you wish to attend. You will be directed to a payment page.
- Once your payment is complete, you will receive a confirmation email. This email contains instructions to complete your registration on Zoom.us (our host). Be sure to complete this second step on Zoom.us to finalize your registration. Once you've finalized your registration, you will see your unique link to the webinar. You can copy this link down, but you'll also receive a reminder email with your webinar details a day ahead of time.
- Social Media for Professional Communicators
- Punctuation, Period!
- Creating Compelling Web Content
- Les réseaux sociaux, comment s'y retrouver
- Are You Certifiable? Preparing for Editors Canada's Certification Exams (free webinar!)
- Content That Counts: Content Development for Niche Media
- Grab Your Career by the Ears and Shake It
- La révision en traduction/adaptation littéraire
- Language Theory: What You're Really Editing Is the Person
- Developmental Editing for Fiction and Memoir
- Getting work with the Online Directory of Editors
- Creating and Maintaining In-House Style Guides
- Let the Fire Burn Brightly: Wordiness Be Gone!
- La langue de l'éducation au Canada, vous connaissez?
- How to Meet People in a Room Full of Strangers
- Introduction to Microsoft Word Styles 101
- From Wordiness to Plain Language : Editing with Style
- Good Grammar: It's More Than a Gut Feel
- How to Evolve Your Writing from Print to Online
- Professional Editorial Standards: How do they work for you?
- La correction d'épreuves de manuels
- A Linguist's Guide to Grammar
- Techniques de révision après traduction
- What's Wrong with This Sentence?
- Programme d’agrément en révision linguistique – Réviseurs Canada : Webinaire d’information (free webinar!)
- Almost Everything You Need to Know about Copy Editing and Grammar Skills
- The WordPress A to Z Webinar Series
- Effective Technical Editing
- Better Time Management for Successful Editors
- Copy Editing Live!
- Estimating Editorial Costs
- Introduction to STEM Editing
- How to Handle Digital Photos
- Getting Your Self-Published Client to a Finished Product