You are here
Speakers Night: Open Mike Speed Speeches and Annual General Meeting
Our final Speakers Night on May 16 before the summer break will involve the Annual General Meeting beginning promptly at 6:30 followed by Open Mike Speed Speeches.
A speed speech is a very short (3 minute) presentation on any aspect of editing, publishing, language, literature, etc. For example, it could be an explanation of a grammatical construct, a recent editorial problem you troubleshooted; a book recommendation; some advice on freelancing … the editorial world is your oyster.
Here’s how it works:
- Prepare a presentation—maximum 3 minutes (you will be timed!) (PowerPoint or similar are discouraged for purely logistical reasons, but visual aids would work).
- When you arrive at the Speakers Night sign up for one of the 6 spots (no advance booking; additional speakers will speak if time allows).
- Anticipate an additional 2 minutes for questions from the audience.
- Bathe in the rapturous applause given by your colleagues.
This is a collaborative event, and its success depends upon your participation. Please put on your ideas cap, cast aside your speaking fears, and think how you can entertain, educate, inform, or wow your colleagues for 180 seconds!
Questions? Email email@example.com
Wednesday, May 16, 6:30–8:00 p.m.
Christ Church Cathedral, 414 Sparks St., Lackey Room
Admission is free for members; $10 for non-members
Annual General Meeting and Executive Elections
At the branch annual general meeting, each branch must elect an executive of a chair, treasurer, secretary and public relations chair. Other executive positions are appointed. The 2018–2019 term starts in June.
Branch chair (vacant): If you have leadership and organizational skills, like to work with a group, and are interested in volunteer opportunities, then we have a job for you. As branch chair, you will manage branch executive meetings, speak on behalf of the branch as necessary, liaise with the regional director, and contribute to the management of the branch.
The current secretary, treasurer and public relations chair are returning to serve a second term.
We are looking for people to fill these executive positions:
- Speakers night chair and co-chair: Recommends program topics for the Speakers Night events, finds and books speakers, and hosts the events.
- Seminars co-chair: Recommends seminar topics, finds instructors, coordinates logistics with the executive director, writes articles for the blog and coordinates social media with the public relations chair.
- Capital Letters Blog Editor: Calls for blog submissions, recommends types of content to obtain, edits submissions and adds content to the blog.
Contact Sara Caverley to discuss how you might help the branch in 2018–2019.
Serving on the executive is an opportunity to work and network with others in the editing and writing community, to learn more about the organization, and guide the branch’s future.
Pre-Speakers Night Dinner
Need a meal or a beverage before the Speakers Night program? Look for the Editors table at Gibson’s, 404 Queen St. and network with friends and colleagues from 5 p.m. The restaurant is in the Radisson Hotel, across from the Queen Street entrance of the Cathedral. Parking is available in the Christ Church Cathedral lot at 414 Sparks.