You are here
Welcome to the Hamilton-Halton twig of Editors Canada!
We gladly invite fellow editors and editing students from Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, Milton, and surrounding communities to join us!
If you’re looking for a friendly and supportive group of professional peers, this is the group for you. As a chapter of Editors Canada, Editors Hamilton-Halton offers local members opportunities for professional development, networking, and socializing. Visit our website or like us on Facebook for events, information, and discussion.
Featured guest speakers and workshops make each Editors Hamilton-Halton monthly meeting a great opportunity to learn and socialize. Doors open at 6:30 pm; program runs 7:00-8:45 pm. We look forward to seeing you!
Editors Hamilton-Halton normally meets in the Frank Rose room on the main floor of the Burlington Central Library, 2331 New Street, L7R 1J4.
***Please note that due to health guidelines regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, we will be meeting online via Zoom for the foreseeable future.***
Upcoming Dates and Programs
Socializing begins at 6:30 p.m. with the actual meetings starting at 7:00 p.m.
Annual General Meeting
Thursday, June 17th, 2021
You can get to the Zoom meeting by clicking here, or by following this link:
Hello everyone! It's time once again for the Editors Canada Hamilton-Halton twig to host its Annual General Meeting, and—while it will be hosted online this year—we're looking forward to seeing everyone's faces one more time before we wind the twig down for the summer.
As always, this event is open to anyone who's interested in attending, and everyone who wants to is encouraged to join in! We'll be going over the highlights of this past year, planning ahead for the year to come, and electing our 2021-2022 executive board. This is a chance to have your voice heard, and also to socialize with some fellow editors before we dive into a busy summer.
For all those who can make it, we look forward to seeing you soon! For anyone considering volunteering for the coming year, read on to learn more about how you can get involved.
Executive Team Positions
Are you or someone you know interested in volunteering? Below is a quick rundown of how you can get involved:
- The executive team (our team of volunteers) are nominated to their positions at the AGM. Nominations can be made in-person during the AGM, or by emailing us at email@example.com.
- Anyone is welcome to nominate themselves or another member to a position. While a nomination can be a formal vote during the AGM, it can also be an informal email just to let us know you're hoping to get involved.
- Most roles are fluid, and can be split or shared to suit the wants of the volunteers. If you're only interested in part of a role, we'd still be happy to hear from you!
- If you'd like to volunteer, but aren't interested in any of the specific roles, consider becoming a member at large!
Executive Roles for 2021
Co-Coordinator Year 2 (Primary Coordinator)
- Organize executive meetings and lead executive volunteers in discussion about chapter events and policies.
- Lead executive and annual general meetings.
- Respond to needs, wants, and concerns of the chapter.
Co-Coordinator Year 1 (Secondary Coordinator)
- Assist the Senior Co-Chair in regulating chapter functions.
- Look after the EHH email account, responding to queries, etc.
- Stand in for the Senior Co-Chair as needed.
NOTE: The chapter’s monies are administered by staff at National office.
- Keep track of chapter account revenues and expenditures (revenue provided in a monthly statement from National office).
- Manage chapter's petty cash (~$100), and reimburse members from petty cash as needed.
- Send expense receipts to National office in a timely manner for reimbursement.
- Write and distribute materials regarding EHH activities.
- Ensure information on the EHH website, National website, and social media accounts are up-to-date.
- Collaborate with the EHH executive to organize meetings, workshops, and events.
- Edit all documentation intended for publication or circulation in a timely manner.
Member at large
- Join the executive team in group discussions.
- Assist executive team when able.
If you have any inquiries regarding chapter roles or the AGM, please also feel free to email Robin and Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org
Connect and Contact
To keep up with Editors Hamilton-Halton:
- Like us on Facebook
- Visit our blog and subscribe to our newsletter
- Contact the co-ordinators, Laura and Robin, at email@example.com
Not an Editors Canada member yet?
We welcome professional editors, students, and anyone interested in the editing field. Events are open to non-members. Find out how to join Editors Canada, or attend one of our events to enhance your editing career.