You are here
Welcome to the Kingston twig of Editors Canada!
Who We Are
We are an Editors Canada twig that organizes events for editors and people with an interest in editing in the Kingston area.
Both Editors Canada members and non-members are welcome at all our events.
Want to know what's going on with us? Join the Editors Kingston Facebook Group or visit our blog.
To receive Kingston Twig information by email, send a request to Ellie Barton.
You can find information about some earlier Editors Kingston events here.
Interested in Editors Kingston news?
Not a member of Editors Kingston but still want to hear about what is going on? Are you a member of Editors Kingston who wants to hear more about what is happening outside of the community? Subscribe to Editors Canada emails!
Meetings & Events
We hold regular get-togethers on the second Wednesday of the month. Meetings feature a speaker or topic as well as time for networking. They are usually held at the Ongwanada Resource Centre, 191 Portsmouth Ave, Kingston, ON, in September, October, November, January, February, March, April, and May. We also host occasional social events and professional development seminars.
Make MS Word Work for YOU
Date: Saturday, November 18, 2017
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Location: Tett Centre, 370 King Street, Kingston, Ontario
Instructor: Adrienne Montgomerie
Price: until October 20
$160 Editors Canada members
After October 20
$185 Editors Canada
$220 non-members (lunch by Epicurious!)
Registration closes Thursday, November 16, 11:59 p.m.
A Hands-On Workshop on Saturday, November 18
Are you slogging through revising documents onscreen, giving your fingers more of a workout than your brain? Do you find making edits in Word time-consuming and annoying, a drain on your focus and creativity?
During the course, you will be guided through the steps on your own familiar laptop. There will be opportunities to practice and trouble-shoot. Coffee and lunch breaks will give you time to network and process what you’ve learned.
You might even end up liking Word! (Maybe just a little bit.)
- Get the most out of Track Changes.
- Speed up editing with shortcuts and customizations.
- Make formatting a snap with Styles.
- Automate complicated or tedious tasks with macros.
- Use wildcards to turbo-boost the search-and-replace function.
- And much more!
Registrants will be surveyed before the course to determine which topics they most want to focus on. Any material not covered in the workshop will be included in a 100-page handout with demo video support, so you can keep learning on your own time and review what we covered when it comes time to put it to use.
What You Need
- Mac or Windows laptop loaded with MS Word—preferably Word 365 or Word 2016, though efforts will be made to support a couple of versions prior. (Note: For this workshop to be useful, you must have a version of Word that includes track changes and comments. Web-based programs such as Open Office are not sufficient.)
- Good understanding of basic Word functions such as menus and ribbons, cut, copy, paste, undo, save as, spellcheck, bold, italic, and indenting.
- Good fundamental computer skills such as mousing, keyboard navigation, and file management.
- Good night's sleep and confidence that you can make Word work for you!
About the Instructor
Adrienne Montgomerie has been teaching people to make nice with Word since 2003. This specialized editors' course has been a sellout since she first offered it in 2012. She is a Certified Copyeditor and a 20-year veteran of freelance editing. She used to work mainly on high school science materials, earning her the moniker of scieditor, and today she can be found on the roster of Canada's largest remaining publishers when she's not teaching and writing about editing. The Right Angels and Polo Bears blog is her home base.
For additional information, contact Elizabeth d'Anjou at email@example.com
For more about Editors Kingston, see www.editorskingston.org
Editors Kingston is a part of Editors Canada, Canada's national professional editing organization.